What an exhilarating experience SS2024 NYFW turned out to be! It was a captivating showcase of minimalist nail designs, red nails, and sheer nails, which was a refreshing departure from the over-the-top looks that have been popular in recent years, and it was a welcome return to classic elegance. Among the plethora of trends observed, a prevailing theme emerged – simplicity, classic, timeless, and chicness. It came as no surprise that shades of red and sheer rose dominated the scene, as they effortlessly embodied the essence of timeless elegance, complementing the simplicity of silhouettes and color palettes.
One particularly delightful aspect of the event was the enthusiastic presence of the media, breathing life and vivacity into the show atmosphere. The pandemic had, unfortunately, cast a shadow on previous events, diminishing the presence of media outlets. Witnessing the return of both familiar and new faces from the media felt like a heartening reunion, reminiscent of the days of yore.
The dedicated team at JINsoon and I had the privilege of collaborating on exciting new shows such as Helmut Lang by Peter Do and Jason Wu, where our nail designs embodied a refined simplicity. Additionally, we introduced sheer nude and striking hot red shades to the palette, contributing to the overall aesthetic of shows like Michael Kors, Proenza Schouler, and Brandon Maxwell.
Here are nail looks created by team JINsoon from SS2024 NYFW:
Jason Wu: Minimalist Architectural Chic
Jason Wu's SS2024 collection seamlessly blends Western mythology with Asian influences, resulting in a fusion of artistry and style. For the nails, the aim was to achieve a minimalist yet impactful and chic look. The chosen nail art embodied elegant simplicity, featuring thin black architectural vertical lines and uncomplicated dots, all finished with a sleek satin matte texture.
Jason Wu's Instagram
This was my first time working with Jason, yet it felt as though we had been acquainted for ages. Jason has a natural ability to put people at ease, and his sense of humor was a delightful highlight of our interactions. Before our nail test, we had engaged in conversations over the phone and exchanged texts. We embarked on our creative journey with a foundation in Asian painting, beginning with the concept of “one brush stroke” executed vertically. From there, I crafted an array of imperfect abstract lines. However, Jason expressed a preference for cleaner lines, ultimately inspiring the creation of the architectural lines and dots that graced his runway. Jason was keen on showcasing this look on male models as well—an idea I wholeheartedly embraced, as this design transcends gender boundaries.
As Wu himself aptly stated, “I wanted to embrace imperfection.” The collection's prints drew inspiration from '30s scientific drawings and 19th-century etchings. Jason reimagined a pattern based on the latter, incorporating the likeness of Anna Mae Wong within its intricate lines and swirls.
Jason Wu's Instagram
In response to this artistic vision, Team JINsoon meticulously hand-drew straight lines and dots in black atop a sheer base, creating a flawless complement to the designer's artistic patterns and understated color palette in the collection. Here's how to recreate the Monochrome Lines and Dots nail art:
Products you'll need:
- JINsoon High-Performance Diamond Nail File
- Power Coat base coat
- A thin nail art striping brush
- A small-sized dotting tool
- JINsoon Absolute Black nail polish, and Matte Maker matte topcoat
- Begin by cleaning, prepping, and shaping your nails using the JINsoon High-Performance Diamond Nail File.
- Apply a single coat of Power Coat base coat to each nail, providing a smooth canvas for your nail art.
- Use a thin nail art brush to delicately draw a thin, straight line on each nail. Feel free to place these lines in different positions on each nail, creating visual interest—consider having one in the middle, one on the right side, and one on the left side.
- With a small dotting tool, dip it into the JINsoon Absolute Black nail polish and carefully create two dots on one nail, one dot on three nails, and leave one nail adorned solely with the lines.
- Conclude the nail art by applying a single coat of Matte Maker matte topcoat. This finishing touch will lend your nails a velvety, matte texture, adding a touch of sophistication to the overall look.
By following these steps and using the recommended products, you can effortlessly recreate the minimalist yet striking Monochrome Lines and Dots nail art, perfectly complementing the fusion of mythology and style seen in Jason Wu's SS2024 collection.
Proenza Schouler: Classic Red and Sheer Nails
The Proenza Schouler collection exuded refinement and elegance, and the designers sought to complement this aesthetic with classic nail styles. They opted for two distinct yet timeless looks: clean sheer and classic red. The addition of red toenails paired with fishnet stockings added a touch of classic fashion flair to the overall ensemble.
Here's a step-by-step guide to achieving these sophisticated nail looks.
- Begin by preparing your nails, ensuring they are clean and shaped.
- Apply a layer of JINsoon Power Coat Base coat to provide a smooth base for your nail color.
- For the classic look, apply two coats of Coquette to the entire nail, or opt for a coat of Dew. Allow ample time for the polish to dry.
- To achieve a glossy finish, apply a thin layer of JINsoon Top Gloss topcoat. This final touch will add a brilliant shine to your nails, completing the classic and elegant look.
With these steps, you can replicate the refined and timeless nail styles showcased during the Proenza Schouler collection, perfectly complementing the sophisticated fashion on display.
Michael Kors: JINsoon Unveils Effortlessly Chic Rosy Sheer Nails for Michael Kors SS2024
Michael Kors presented a glamorous, escapist collection against the backdrop of Brooklyn's waterfront—a spectacle that exuded metropolitan charm and timeless elegance. It was a sight to behold!
Michael Kors's Instagram
During the preparatory phase, I quickly examined the styles and color palettes to identify the perfect complement. Almost instinctively, I introduced a newly crafted sheer color that possessed the unique ability to harmonize with all skin tones. When I presented this delicate shade, it elicited an enthusiastic response from Michael, who remarked, “Yes, it looks like she's on vacation. Let's ensure it suits all skin tones.”
With that directive in mind, I showcased the shade on various skin tones, and the consensus was unanimous—everyone loved it.
JINsoon introduced a delicate new rosy sheer nail look for the Michael Kors SS2024 collection. This nail look embodied the essence of natural beauty and effortlessness, harmoniously enhancing the designer's fresh and modern collection.
Here's a simple guide to achieving this effortlessly chic look.
- Start by preparing your nails, ensuring they are clean, and shape them.
- Apply a layer of JINsoon Power Coat Base coat to create a smooth foundation for your nail color.
- For the main shade, apply two coats of the NEW rosy sheer to cover the entire nail surface. Allow adequate drying time.
- To achieve a brilliant shine, finish with a thin layer of JINsoon Top Gloss topcoat. This final touch imparts a lustrous finish, elevating the overall allure of the nail color and creating a long lasting finish.
- By following these straightforward steps, you can recreate the rosy sheer nail look that perfectly complements Michael Kors' vision of an escapist, metropolitan, and timeless collection, ensuring a touch of vacation-like elegance for all.
Brandon Maxwell: Elegance Ignites with a Fiery Hot Red Nails
The collection was an absolute masterpiece! Upon my initial assessment of the collection, I had an immediate sense —the NEW orange-red shade I had crafted would work splendidly with the collection's colors and styles. I immediately shared my choice of this red with Brandon, taking a moment to explain the rationale behind selecting this particular red and its suitability for the Spring/Summer season.
This red, I explained, possesses a subtle transparency that imparts a weightless quality, making it a perfect fit for the season. Its light and airy appearance aligns seamlessly with the essence of Spring/Summer fashion. Brandon agreed with the vision, and together, we ensured that it perfectly complemented the collection. Brandon said, “Jin, I had never used any colors other than sheer until I had the opportunity to work with you!”
As I looked at the striking hot red nails adorning the models in ensembles from the collection, I instinctively recognized that these were the perfect choice. These crimson hues not only added a touch of sophistication but also exuded an undeniable sensuality, elevating the entire aesthetic to new heights.
To achieve this vibrant yet understated look, follow these steps.
- Begin by preparing your nails, ensuring they are clean and shaped to your preference.
- Apply a layer of JINsoon Power Coat Base coat to establish a smooth foundation for your nail color.
- For the main shade, apply two coats of the NEW red to cover the entire nail surface. Allow ample time for the polish to dry.
- To conclude, apply a thin layer of JINsoon Top Gloss topcoat for a glossy finish that enhances the vibrancy of the red.
By following these straightforward steps, you can effortlessly recreate the NEW red nail look—a choice that perfectly complements the stunning Spring/Summer collection, ensuring that your nails align harmoniously with the season's aesthetic.
Peter Do's inaugural collection for Helmut Lang marked a significant moment, and I was eager to show my support for him. One thing that sets Peter apart is his fearlessness in embracing a wide spectrum of nail looks, and this season was certainly no exception.
Helmut Lang's Instagram
Since the fabric swatches arrived only two weeks before the show, I faced the challenge of creating nail colors that perfectly matched the fabrics in a short time. I ventured into the lab and worked swiftly to formulate several new hues. The outcome? Peter was thrilled with the results.
The JINsoon team crafting five distinct nail looks for the show. We featured the iconic H.E.L.M.U.T.L.A.N.G letters on the nails of some models, while others showcased a vibrant yellow taxi color adorned with brush strokes. The color palette ranged from hot fuchsia to the unmistakable yellow taxi shade, and we also introduced a sheer rosy hue for a delicate touch.
The show itself was nothing short of amazing; it resonated deeply on an emotional level and left an indelible mark. For a more in-depth look at our nail creations, you can find a great article detailing the nail looks here: Link to the article. Helmut Lang Nail Looks
Helmut Lang's Instagram
This event underscored the powerful intersection of fashion, art and poetry, and I'm immensely proud to have been part of such a momentous occasion.